Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Did you know the Dodo bird was extinct?



The conversation that started it all...

CW: ...It went by the way of the dodo...

Me: Ok, you keep saying things like that.  Where did the dodo go?

CW: (looking at me like I'm an idiot) Dodos are extinct, you didn't know that?

Me: I didn't know dodos were real birds until Ty made a dodo bird beanie baby that was born on demon hEX's birthday.  I figured Ty made a beanie baby out of it, it must be a real bird.  And it sat on the bookshelf next to the Mallard beanie baby that was born on my birthday.  When he moved out I told him to take his dodo with him and I haven't thought about dodos since until you came along with your "went the way of the dodo" expression and I just wanted to know where the dodo went.  And don't look at me like that, dodos don't fall into common, everyday knowledge.  Especially if they have been extinct for a while.


Since then, I have been on a quest to prove that dodo birds do not fall under common, everyday knowledge. Right now it's about 50/50.  The last credible citing of a dodo was in 1662, so it's not like they were recently extinct...I mean, PETA wasn't trying to save them or anything like that.  And Yes, I have heard of dinosaurs.  Dinosaurs are cool.  Dodo's were dumb, flightless birds distantly related to the pigeon (which aren't cool either).

My awesome friend who is the goddess of trivia, did not know that dodos were extinct and when I explained to her why I was asking, she replied "was it a detachable dodo?"  Seriously, I'm just talking about birds folks...for now anyway...

My dad, aka Papa, did know that dodos were extinct and apparently Puffins are making a comeback.

Papa: How could you NOT know dodos were extinct?
Me: Well Dad, I had a public school education

And my toaster oven promptly died...literally, it just shut off at that moment, leaving me bread instead of toast...Anywhoo, I'm still surveying.  How many people knew the dodo bird 1) was a real bird; and/or 2) that it's now extinct?




*Please note that yes, I totally knew that the Dodo was extinct.  I was also able to school Good Twin on the fact that the Puffin was able to come back from extinction.  (Take that "Goddess of Trivia" friend!)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?