Friday, April 12, 2013

A to Z Blog Challenge: K is for my Kitchen window




I love doing dishes!! Well, not really but my house backs to woods.  I love standing at my kitchen sink and looking into the picturesque woods behind my house.  I constantly see foxes, rabbits and dear. I see beautiful wild flowers.  There’s also a gully that carries a little creek when we get a lot of rain.  The trees look beautiful all year long.  With big, green leaves in the Summer, Fall brings bright orange and red leaves, the way the snow and icicles rest on the branches in the Winter is wonderous! Spring brings sweet smells and tiny buds.  One of the many reasons I love being in my kitchen is the amazing view!!

The window over my kitchen sink views a HUGE, I’m guessing oak, tree.  This thing seems to be 3 trees in one and towers over my house.  (No, I don’t know the trees' name, we’re not that close).  Some woodpeckers have made little homes in the big tree behind my house.  I call those abodes Apt. 1C and Apt. 1J.  1C is in between the 2nd and 3rd floors of my house.  1J is just above my house.  As I wash my dishes, I see the woodpeckers flying in and out of 1C and 1J.  I’m not sure what they are up too but I'm fascinated by them.  They are nothing like that Woody Woodpecker bird either!

Apt. 1C

Apt. 1J

In the last week I have noticed that the evil neighborhood squirrels, I call them Flotsom and Jetsam, are squatting in 1C and 1J.  Seriously!  I was scrubbing my roasting pan when I saw Jetsam run up the tree and over to 1C.  Flotsom stuck his head out of 1C and Jetsam took off, further up the tree to 1J.  He started to enter 1J when he suddenly backed out and the head of one of the woodpeckers appeared (*note…I need to name the woodpeckers…something other than Woody).  Suddenly, all holy hell broke loose!! The woodpecker just started pecking.  Randomly and wildly pecking!!  Jetsam, well he...he..I’m not exactly sure what Jetsam was trying to do, it definitely wasn’t kung fu.  But, whatever it was did get the woodpecker to abandon ship and fly to a higher branch off to the right.   Jetsam then entered 1J and I guess had some nutmeg tonic or something.  The woodpecker just sat on that branch.  Throughout the rest of the day I would take a peek out back.  No sign of Flotsom or Jetsam but that woodpecker was still sitting on that branch.  Like he is waiting. Patiently….

So, any name suggestions for the crazy woodpecker biding his time, waiting to reclaim his home?


 

7 comments:

  1. Golum the woodpecker...soon my precious sooooon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, good one!! But Golum was obsessed. This woodpecker just wants the squatter out of his house. Maybe Gandolf? He is grey...

      Delete
  2. I love watching squirrels, and the woodpecker pecking. I don't have a kitchen window but we can watch both from our den. :) A kitchen window makes all the difference, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does!! We have some robins that like to hand around our cherry tree too!

      Delete
  3. Flotsom, Jetsam & nutmeg tonic, too funny. I've got critters in my backyard too and it's fascinating the way they interact.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?